10 Fun Summer Things
We’re in the middle of a Midwest heat wave, with a sprinkler slowly oscillating in our yard every morning and a daily reviving of parched blue hydrangeas. The kids and I have spent most of our days at the pool, where they can now spend hours at a time (and carry their own towels!) – a different season from the toddler and baby years, for sure. I try to avoid turning on our oven at all costs to keep our house cool, and a top priority has been making sure we are all well-stocked with fresh library books for summer reading.
In the spirit of lazy summer days, I wanted to round up some fun things that might make your summer break a little more wonderful. You’ll find those in the list below, and feel free to share your own fun summer list in the comments!
Here are ten summer things I’m into…
- This cover-up. My favorite thing to throw on when going to the pool and lake. A splurge, but totally worth it since I can wear this for years to come. Always feels so light and comfortable, even in the heat.
- Last night’s dinner. Avoiding the oven has me upping my salad game, and I don’t mind spending a little extra effort making a homemade dressing or fun toppings if it means we get a refreshing dinner.
- It felt like a risk, but after ordering an exercise dress to try out, I can officially say I’m a fan. So flattering with adjustable straps and pockets! It is great for walks and pickle ball, but also just for running around town or even a date. Would be cute with these or these.
- Summer reading! You guys know I am all about a good book, so here are a few I would recommend for vacation: Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O’Farrell, Book Lovers by Emily Henry, I Guess I Haven’t Learned that Yet by Shauna Niequist, The Kitchen Front by Jennifer Ryan, The Late Bloomer’s Club by Louise Miller.
- This hat. One of my most-worn summer basics. Highly recommend (and while you’re there, pick this up on sale too – another favorite basic).
- Our favorite acrylic glassware is on sale. We use these constantly year-round, but especially in the summer. Great for kids, but still classic and well-designed.
- Forever favorite tee – I size up one size.
- On a recent walk, this podcast episode with Andy Crouch was such a good listen (really looking forward to reading his new book, too!)
- A life-saver in our house on hot days.
- My summer uniform: a breezy tank, classic denim shorts, and tan sandals!
I’m intrigued by the exercise dress. A woman who does Jazzercise with me wears exercise skorts and they seem like a fun change from yoga pants–and probably much cooler in this heat.
Yes – I love the more feminine vibe of a skort or exercise dress. It’s fun! Also, yay for Jazzercize :)
Great post, Lindsey!