We just returned from a family trip down to Lake Keowee in South Carolina. After such a challenging year of work and school, it was the perfect getaway to kick off summer break for the kids and spend lots of time in the water & sunshine!
Now that we’re back home, I wanted to compile my vacation book stack for you, as well as past books I have read & loved. These are mostly novels that have some sort of feel-good ending. Feel free to bookmark this post as a quick resource for your next good book, and if you want to pass it along to fellow book-loving friends I’d love that!
To start, here are the books I just read & loved on our summer vacation:
- Gilead | A classic & winner of the Pulitzer Prize
- Simply Tuesday | My only non-fiction choice, written by Emily Freeman when she was in a similar season of life as I’m in right now. It’s all about small-moment living in a fast paced world. I read a chapter every couple of days to think about, and it’s been like a balm for my soul.
- The Midnight Library |I absolutely loved this imaginative take on regrets and second chances. The story is one that sticks with you and makes you think, similar to this novel from years ago.
- Anxious People | Such a smart, funny story about a bank robbery, a hostage situation and so much more. Lots of twists and turns – and clever insights into the human heart – from the author of A Man Called Ove (one that Zach and I both loved.)
- Code Name Helene | Based on the thrilling true story of Nancy Wake, a WWII socialite spy, this historical fiction is full of her daring, fierce resistance in occupied France.
- Rules of Civility | A set of glittering characters fall in love and climb the social ladder of 1930s Manhattan.
For more summer reading ideas, here are some of my top picks from years past…
- Educated: A Memoir
- Evvie Drake Starts Over
- Where the Crawdads Sing
- Hannah Coulter
- The Invention of Wings
- The Huntress
- Rise & Shine
- Crazy Rich Asians Trilogy
- Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
- Where’d You Go Bernadette?